Thursday, December 20, 2012

be thankfull

          Recently in AP Lang I read an article about being thankful and it really made me think. After I thought pretty long and hard about it I realized America is somewhat crap when it comes to this holiday. We celebrate on Thanksgiving about being thankful for everyone and everything we have in our lives, and then 5 hours later we go shopping for ourselves? Just think about how crazy that sounds. Are we all really coming to that?
Also in the article it talked about how sometimes people get hurt during the so called holiday “Black Friday” and how we have other people being thankful for having just a little bit of food. This is so wrong, so very wrong. I am a strong participant in “Black Friday”, and I do it for the fun, I have never personally seen anyone get injured of die while shopping. I just feel that the author pieced two very different things together.
            I do believe that shopping is a bit overrated and now when I think about it, it’s kind of wrong. It is just an American tradition though, I don’t feel like we are being selfish by doing it, also I don’t think we are intending to show or bring off the message that we aren’t thankful. Ironically though it still makes me feel a little bad, I’m not intending to be unthankful but it comes off in a way that I am. Not everyone feels that way I hope.
            Every year at the crack of dawn when I go shopping I go for the thrill of it, and I’m speaking for many of the black Friday participants I know of. I am so very thankful for what I have and never look back on that. Maybe next year while I’m shopping I can buy a Christmas present for Toys for Tots and donate it, so maybe someone else can be thankful too. Always be thankful for what you have. (329)

No comments:

Post a Comment